Monday, February 1, 2010

Passwords

I hate passwords. I have a few that I recycle, but every once in awhile, I try to make up something new. The problem is I can never remember my brilliant idea. Of course, I don't write it down. Why would I do that - writing it down means that I have to keep up with it. And anyone could find what I wrote. What happens? I have to have it set and reset - then reset again.

This very thing happened to me yesterday when I was trying to do my taxes. First, I had to remember which of my five email addresses I used to set up my account. (Yes, I have five. No, I do not know why. Actually, I do, but the story is boring so I won't bother to repeat it.) I finally managed that, but I couldn't remember if I used my email as my user name or if I made up a user name. After finally figuring that out, I had to come up with the password from a year ago. Of course, I could not. Of course, I reset it. Of course, I have no idea now what I reset it to. Thank goodness, I can at least remember my name and SSN.

Today I tried to remember the clever password I used to set up my account with my investment firm. About 20 tries later, I still have no idea. I think that's going to have to be reset, too.

This is what I get for trying to be careful and clever. I just lock myself out!

No comments:

Post a Comment