Monday, January 18, 2010

Happy MLK

Many years ago, DJ dubbed this day "Martin Luther the King" Day. Many I know call it "Robert E Lee's Birthday." Whatever you call it, I usually call it a day off. Not this year. For the first time in my life, I have to work on the third Monday in January. I never realized just how much federal holidays meant to me until I didn't get them any more.

Back on Veterans' Day, I sure did miss my day off. I know I'll be missing it again on Presidents' Day. How spoiled am I that I miss having extra days off work. Have I ever celebrated even one of these days? Nope. I just enjoyed the luxury of not going to work.

Sadly, that's not my life any more. I no longer get paid time off work. I'm here 40 hours a week pretty much every week of the year. Paid vacation is a thing of the past - and along with it my fun travels. Is it difficult? Oh, yes. I loved traveling. I loved time off. Vacations were the best. But, now I have work.

Granted it's not much like work, but I have to be present to be paid, and I need to be paid, so here I am feeling sorry for myself that I am trapped at work on a day when most Americans are out enjoying the day. I'm grateful to have a job for sure, but I sure would like some time off.

No comments:

Post a Comment